Saturday 11 February 2017

Stay fit with your stoma

The more we have been locked down in 2021 the more my wife and I watch crazy love shows with people looking like supermodels.  It has moved us to actually work out a ton and to try and be just as fit.  It is because staying active and doing what you love is an important part of being healthy.  There is no reason not to be just as fit as you want. The mind and body are both important and nothing should stop you from doing what you love if it can be helped.  Don't let COVID-19 and all the lies involved stop you from going out and being active or heading to the gym.  And having a stoma shouldn't stop you from doing the things you love and unless your medical professional tells you differently don't let it! It is dumb and literally naive to give in to a fear of something that is not real.  So there are many things that I like to do and some of them are refreshing for the soul.  I mean that if you are not getting out and seeing the world or enjoying life sometimes your body begins to shut down and your mind suffers.  For me, I know that I need to go on vacation and enjoy the open outdoors and even try to do it on a regular non-vacation basis.  If it's working out or even hunting that you want to do, then go and do it.



So part of being active is also being in shape enough to hunt.  I mean it, dragging a 200 lb deer through the woods, or carrying it for miles is work.  Now I don't let my ostomy get in the way and in fact, it can be useful for hunting.  I generally like to use the quality gear and shop mostly at Hollister Ostomy Supplies. If you don't know what type of gear you may need go online and find a good large corporation.  It is pretty cool that they offered samples to help me find what would work best while hunting as well. So keep them in mind when you are working and looking for good gear for your outdoor trips or hunting excursions and for being safe.



I am going out with my brother in law this year and going to teach him how to hunt.  He does not have a stoma, and that is just fine.  We are not jumping into anything crazy so we are starting with the easiest version of hunting in my book and that is squirrel hunting.  To me this is easy because you don't need to start off with the skills of tracking, being quiet or smell work.  I mean that you can be a terrible hunter and still get squirrels for dinner. 


This makes it so you can be successful and not disheartened by failing at any one of the many things that can go wrong when deer hunting.  This is also a great way to go over the basics of firearm safety outdoors and not just at a range.  My brother in law is a great shooter at a range, but being outdoors and muzzle control is very important. It is going to be a fun time and I am going to do it all with an ostomy bag on my hip and a nice ostomy guard over my stoma.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ostomy Surgery: Things To Expect

Ostomy surgery is a life-saving procedure that alters the excretory pathway. Some diseases can result in the intestinal tract or bladder t...